Sea cucumbers are strange looking creatures. They don't, in the least stand true to their name. They are coveted to be amongst the most important creatures to exist in the Eco-system. Well, you are in for an interesting read, indeed, about this very intriguing creature called sea cucumber. Browse through the sea cucumber facts to comprehend what they mean to our ecological arena.
Interesting Facts on Sea Cucumbers
Interesting Facts on Sea Cucumbers
- Sea Cucumbers are echinoderms, that is, they are invertebrates, belonging to the Holothuroidea league.
- Echinoderms are marine creatures that have a five part, radially symmetrical body. They have a dark-colored body, however some species of the sea cucumbers have their bodies naturally inked with orange and blue warts.
- Sea cucumbers can be found in the ocean depths that range from the inter-tidal zones to the deepest point in the ocean trenches.
- There are more than 1000 species of Holothuroidea. All of these animal species have long, spineless bodies, hence deriving a common identity.
- A sea cucumber fun fact is that they spend most of their time sifting food material from the ocean water that flows around them. Sea cucumbers prefer to have plankton and other organic materials, filtered from the ocean floors or depths, with their flexible tentacles aiding them to eat their staple food.
- Sea cucumbers are important members for our ecological system. They are detritophages, as they feed on dead and decayed matter lying deep within the ocean waters. It uses its tentacles to gulp what it needs and excrete what it does not want to consume.
- Sea cucumbers respire only when they sift oxygen from the sea water. A bodily tool referred to as breathing tree, is used by the sea cucumber to extract oxygen from the ocean water. The breathing tree extends from the anus to cover the entire length of the body.
- Sea cucumber facts are plenty to behold, but the one that has had a breakthrough impact is the use of sea cucumber extracts for the purpose of ceasing the growth of cancerous cells in the body.
- Sea cucumbers serve to be an excellent ointment, when mixed with herbs that are essential for health and beauty maintenance. Night creams and day moisturizers have sea cucumber extracts in order to make the skin soft and supple, also providing relief to the feet if and when they sustain cracks.
- Sea cucumbers are packed with nutritional properties. It consists of glucosamine and chondroitin that help in treating ailments such as arthritis.
- A California cucumber fact that should be mentioned in this piece is that its extracts are used in anti-aging creams and lotions.
- Kidney disorders and constipation are health troubles that can be solved with an appropriate dosage of this traditional medication. These are indeed some important sea cucumber nutrition facts that one needs to take note of.
- Sea cucumbers being strict followers of self-defense mechanisms. The sea cucumber, in extremely stressful situations, throws away its gut. It has an interesting defense mechanism to self-eviscerate the stomach. This act puts the attacker in a state of utter confusion. The sea cucumber takes advantage of this and escapes from the situation. The stomach however grows back after a brief tenure has elapsed.
- Sea cucumbers are also a part of the Asian cuisine. The dried or fresh sea cucumbers are added to sauces and soups. It has an extremely bland flavor, however, the texture it delivers to the cuisine, is rubbery and gluey in nature.