Some really interesting facts about animals that you will enjoy reading are presented in the following article. Go ahead, read on and increase your general knowledge about the animal kingdom.
The animal kingdom consists of multicellular, eukaryotic organisms inhabiting the planet Earth. There are hundreds and thousands of animal species, each being unique and amazing in nature. Animals are an integral part of the ecosystem as well as human life.
Animals are divided into vertebrates and invertebrates. Vertebrates are those animals with a backbone and are placed in the phyla Cordata and subphyla Vertebrata. Invertebrates are animals that are without a backbone. The animal kingdom consists of mammals, fish, birds, etc. There are over 100,000 species in the 25 animal phyla and many are still to be discovered. This shows that the animal kingdom is brimming with facts that make us understand the uniqueness of the different species. So, without wasting much time, I shall begin with random animal fun facts.
Interesting Facts About Animals
There are many unusual things about animals that we aren’t aware of. I have tried to enlist some of the really funny animal facts that you will be surprised to know. Read on for some interesting information about our animal friends.
- Every single swan in England is the property of the Queen.
- Although they are called Anteaters, these animals prefer eating termites over ants.
- A lion living in the wild will be able to make no more than 20 successful kills in a year.
- The Chow is the only dog that does not have a pink colored tongue.
- Deer does not have gallbladder.
- The female Saltwater Crocodile lays her eggs at night. During this period, she enters a trance-like state and is oblivious to the surroundings.
- You will never find two tigers with similar stripe markings.
- A starfish can live for eternity as long as it does not fall sick or meets with an accident or is eaten up by predators.
- The nose prints of gorillas are different, just as human fingerprints.
- A harp seals group is called a Colony or a Rookery.
- A hippopotamus can live for about 40 years in the wild.
- The cheetah is the smallest of all big cats.
- A cheetah can run about 80 miles/hour.
- The tallest mammals on earth are the Giraffes.
- Dolphins can jump up to 20 feet in air.
- An elephant’s tusks consists of dentin, the same substance that forms human teeth.
- There are over 40,000 muscles in an elephant’s trunk.
- Dogs can make about 10 vocal sounds and cats are capable of making over 100 different vocal sounds.
- Dogs and cats, just like humans, can either be left-handed or right-handed (er.. pawed?).
- A dolphin tends to sleep with one eye open.
- Ants do not have lungs and can never sleep.
- A baby kangaroo at birth is only an inch long and is no bigger in size than a queen bee.
- There are over 32 muscles in a cat’s ear.
- A group of owls is called a parliament.
- The smartest dog in the world is the Border Collie and the dumbest dog is the Afghan Hound.
- The tongue of a blue whale is so large that about 50 grown men can stand on it.
- The only animal that cannot jump are elephants.
- For some unknown reason, a duck’s quack cannot echo.
- A 4 feet tall child can fit into a wide open mouth of a hippopotamus.
- The heart of a shrimp is in its head.
- The only fish that can blink both eyes at the same time is the shark.
- Each and every polar bear is left-handed (pawed).
- The eyes of an ostrich is bigger than its brain.
- The only animals besides humans who can fall prey to leprosy are the armadillos.
- An armadillo can have four babies at a time. What is weird is that all the newborns are of the same-sex.
- A cat’s urine can glow under black light.
- A haw is the third eyelid of cats, which is only visible when the animal is very sick.
- If a goldfish is kept in dim light for a period, it will turn white.
- Hummingbirds are the only birds that can fly backwards.
- Sharks and ray fish are the only animal species that never get cancer.
- Birds use gravity to help them swallow food. If there is no gravity, birds would choke to death on their food.
- The only mammals that produce uric acid other than humans are Dalmatians. Thus, they become the only dog breed to get gout.
- There are hair on the eyes of honeybees that help them collect pollens.
- The sperm of an elephant is shorter than the sperm of a mouse.
- The whiskers of a cat help it determine if the space is too small or enough for it to squeeze through.
- Lions can mate over 50 times a day.
- The tongue of an alligator is attached to the bottom of its mouth and hence it cannot stick its tongue out.
- The only mammals that can fly are bats. Another interesting random animal fact about bats is that they always turn left while exiting a cave.
- Humans, apes and koalas are the only three animals to have unique fingerprints.
- Rabbits and parrots are the only creatures who can look behind themselves without ever turning their heads around.
The animal kingdom is very vast and enriched with creatures far beyond the human imagination. Each and every living animal on earth has adapted itself to its surroundings. It is our duty to help save the ecosystem and animals living in it from destruction. Our planet will no longer be the beautiful, if there are no animals.